W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-css-testsuite@w3.org > July 2008

Re: CSS2.1 i18n and bidi tests for review

From: Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 17:28:29 +0200
To: "Eira Monstad" <eiram@opera.com>
Cc: public-css-testsuite@w3.org
Message-Id: <200807041728.29822.bert@w3.org>

On Friday 04 July 2008 14:20, Eira Monstad wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 14:09:38 +0200, Bert Bos <bert@w3.org> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 01 July 2008 10:20, Eira Monstad wrote:
> >> I've been working on some bidi related tests for the 2.1
> >> testsuite, as well as converting a few of Richard Ishida's tests
> >> for language dependent styling to match the testsuite template.
> >> The tests are ready for review at
> >> http://people.opera.com/eiram/test/css21/review/
> >
> > I haven't checked everything, but I noticed one small problem in
> > the attribute selector tests: the "lang" attribute doesn't exist in
> > XHTML 1.1. The tests either need to use XHTML 1.0 or need to rename
> > "lang" to "xml:lang".
> >
> > (One may question why XHTML 1.1 isn't more backwards compatible,
> > but that's a different discussion.)
>
> This is a consequence of using the template at
> http://csswg.inkedblade.net/test/css2.1/format. The tests will
> automatically be converted to HTML format. If you check META
> name="flags" in the tests, you will (hopefully!) find that the tests
> that use the lang attribute are flagged as "HTMLonly". If you find
> the lang attribute in tests not flagged as HTMLonly, please let me
> know.

Sorry, I didn't look at the flags. I didn't notice anything 
HTML-specific, so I just assumed the test was meant to be an XHTML 
test.

I don't know how well the converter deals with invalid XML, but as far 
as I know it's not actually validating, so an attribute that is invalid 
but well-formed probably survives.

>
> > A problem of a different sort is that the test files use <!
> > [CDATA[...]]>. That is valid XHTML, but some browsers have trouble
> > with it. Because of that, and because it is a test for CSS support,
> > not XHTML support, I suggest removing the <![CDATA[...]]>. There is
> > nothing in the style sheets that needs escaping anyway.
>
> Normally I wouldn't include it, but I've been following the template
> given at http://csswg.inkedblade.net/test/css2.1/format
>
> Should the template be changed?

Or the converter could remove the CDATA section, the same way it already 
does for HTML. (Or almost the same way: for HTML, it is enough to 
remove the "<![CDATA[" and "]]>", for XHTML it would also have to 
escape any <, > and &.)

On the other hand, one would hope that the amount of software that 
claims XHTML support but doesn't handle CDATA would diminish over time 
as well...



Bert
-- 
  Bert Bos                                ( W 3 C ) http://www.w3.org/
  http://www.w3.org/people/bos                               W3C/ERCIM
  bert@w3.org                             2004 Rt des Lucioles / BP 93
  +33 (0)4 92 38 76 92            06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex, France
Received on Friday, 4 July 2008 15:29:13 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 20 September 2010 17:51:56 GMT