http://www.revenutiontesting.com/w3c/page-break-inside-002.xht

From: Grant, Melinda <melinda.grant@hp.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 01:01:53 +0000
To: "public-css-testsuite@w3.org" <public-css-testsuite@w3.org>
This test works: it passes all known current implementations.

BUT, I'm struggling with the test design (and with testing page-breaking, in general).  The spec quite explicitly calls out that a UA may break anywhere...  How do you fail a UA for breaking before the b, or the a for that matter?  It's certainly allowed.  It's even a reasonable heuristic, to break near the end of the page at start of a new paragraph, even if widows don't force a new page; we've seen at least one implementation (Prince) do something similar on another test.

We could redesign the test to greatly reduce the likelihood of accidental failure, by setting the 'page-break-inside: avoid' on a big span whose static position should be up high on the page: a page break there would almost certainly indicate a defect, rather than a reasonable heuristic.  But to make this work, we need to create a page-size-specific test, which we generally try to avoid.

I'm leaning toward accepting the page-size limitation in favor of reducing the likelihood of accidental failure.  Thoughts?

Best wishes,

Melinda

Melinda S. Grant
Melinda Grant Consulting