Re: Licensing

From: Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 17:13:46 +0100
To: public-css-testsuite@w3.org

On Wednesday 09 January 2008 13:19, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Jan 2008, fantasai wrote:
> > Yes, this I agree is a problem, and I'm talking with Rigo about it.
> > But again, if you or Anne have specific examples that would help.
>
> It would presumably be a problem for Microsoft, Opera, Mozilla, and
> Apple, for a start, since all four occasionally have to modify tests
> as part of incorporating them into their test harnesses.

Test suite licenses have been discussed a lot in W3C over the years. The
current policy[1] is the result. The fact that it has been stable since
at least 2004 indicates to me that we need more than presumptions
before discussing it again.

It seems to me that conformance isn't helped by allowing people to make
modifications to the test suite without review by the WG.

The current license requires that somebody who wants to publish modified
tests asks permission. (Making and using them is fine.) If W3C gets
overwhelmed with requests it is early enough to think about a new
system. The few requests we got so far didn't pose problems.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2004/10/27-testcases

Bert