Re: Licensing

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 12:41:24 -0800
To: public-css-testsuite@w3.org

On Wednesday 2008-01-09 17:13 +0100, Bert Bos wrote:
> The current license requires that somebody who wants to publish modified
> tests asks permission. (Making and using them is fine.) If W3C gets
> overwhelmed with requests it is early enough to think about a new
> system. The few requests we got so far didn't pose problems.

That's not sufficient for most open-source projects.  Open source
projects typically provide their entire source under a specific
license or set of licenses.  They don't provide it under the terms
"you can use it under license X if you ask the permission of the
following 15 companies/people/organizations".  They provide it under
"you can use it under license X".  The difference between those two
can be a major obstacle to such use.  (Given the chance that at
least 1 of the 15 organizations won't respond, or will deny the
request, it's usually not even worth bothering to ask.)

-David