Re: Adding additional tests to an existing test case

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 11:42:09 -0500
To: Stewart Brodie <stewart.brodie@antplc.com>
CC: public-css-testsuite@w3.org

Stewart Brodie wrote:

> Re: CSS2.1-test-suite/raw-tests/css1tests/css1test543.xml
> (t1504-c543-txt-decor-00-d-g.htm in the built HTML 4.01 version)
>
> Currently, the CSS2.1 text-decoration test case does not test all the
> various constraints that affect whether or not the decorations apply,
> specifically where floating and absolutely positioned elements are involved.
>
> I would like to see such test cases incorporated.
>
> What is the best way to do this?  Is it better to submit a completely new
> test or to suggest changes to an existing test and classify it as a "fix"
> for the existing test?  I can post a small diff against the CVS file that
> adds these test cases.

In this case, because
   a) the test is already fairly long
and
   b) it's derived from the CSS1 test suite
I'd suggest writing a new test.

> Would doing the latter mean I could avoid having to fill out any permission
> granting forms (which could incur a long, local, admin overhead?)

There's very little overhead for the permission granting form. You can fill
it out here: http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/1/testgrants2-200409/

The template for new tests is here:
   http://csswg.inkedblade.net/test/css2.1/format