Re: Materials from 2019-04-11 combined DID Spec and DID Resolution Spec meeting

David is correct that with decentralized identity and verifiable
credentials, verifiers are making two levels of trust decisions:

   1. The DID method
   2. The VC issuer.

Trust in the DID method only matters insofar as the verifier believes that
the DID & DID document is actually controlled by and authoritative for the
VC issuer. The vast majority of the trust reliance is on the VC issuer.

To the extent that a large number of verifiers default to trusting Google
and Facebook as "mega VC issuers", as David calls them, they indeed could
end out with the majority of "trust market power". But since anyone can
issue VCs—by design—it doesn't seem that's a problem we can solve with the
technical specifications alone. As David says, that's a matter of many
others who are source of trust in the economy today asserting themselves
in decentralized identity infrastructure.