Re: Trust in Issuers (was: Materials from 2019-04-11 combined DID Spec and DID Resolution Spec meeting)

Thinking some more about how Google et al might migrate towards issuing
VCs, they must have a business model for doing this. The current FIM
model places the IdP at the centre of the ecosystem, which is ideal for
Google tracking users and capturing data. VCs do not do this.

However, the current VC data model gives Google a back door for this as
follows:
i. they issue a VC to the user with an unbelievably long validity time
ii. the either do not publish reliable revocation information (check out
Google Chrome for X.509 CRLs or OCSP and you will see they dont use
them) or they make verifiers come to them for the info (for which they
can charge a micro payment each time and track the user)
iii. Each VC contains refresh information which makes the verifier come
back to Google to verify that this unbelievably long duration VC is
still valid (again they can charge for this and track the user).

So this would seem to be a relatively painless way for Google and
Facebook to migrate to VCs and keep their existing business models.

David