Re: Terminology poll

or alternatively

On 27/06/2017 00:06, Joe Andrieu wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 26, 2017, at 06:59 PM, David Chadwick wrote:
>> Wouldnt this be solved by calling VCs verifiable credentials rather than
>> claims and removing the word claim from our vocabulary.
>
> + to "Issuers create credentials" which contain verifiable claims.

issuers create credentials which contain statements that can be verified

> That feeds the downstream:
> * claimants use claims by bundling them into entity profiles,

claimants may bundle together statements into entity profiles

> * then claimants claim the benefits of said claims by presenting entity
> profiles to inspectors/verifiers/relying-parties.

claimants use credentials to claim benefits from inspectors....

> What is "verifiable" however is still the claim: issued by issuers,

what is verifiable is the statement made by the issuer

So you see, with a little positive will it is feasible to remove any
notion of the credential containing a claim

The Issuer is in fact making a statement, so why call it a claim?

A driving license is a not a claim, it is a credential containing
statements of fact (that you are entitled to drive)

So let us get rid of the term 'claim' as it leads to all sort of
mis-interpretations.

In the real world the documents that we want to replace with VCs are all
statements of fact made by issuers. None of them are claims.

No-one would call a membership card, passport, credit card or any such
thing a claim. So neither should we.

regards

David