Re: Terminology poll

From: Steven Rowat <steven_rowat@sunshine.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 17:12:42 -0700
To: public-credentials@w3.org
On 2017-06-26 4:21 PM, David Chadwick wrote:
> The Issuer is in fact making a statement, so why call it a claim?

Not true, taken verbatim. I tried working this through in an example,
and came to a problem:

The Issuer is making a 'statement of fact', not just a 'statement'.

That is, they are tying their statement to the real world. They are
saying that their statement is true.

A 'statement of fact' is the same as a claim, in dictionary
definitions. A 'statement' isn't.

So I agree the word claim could be removed, but only if it's replaced
by the same meaning, ie., 'statement of fact' or an equivalent.

Steven