Re: UN peacekeepers 'barter goods for sex' - BBC News

From: David Nicol <davidnicol@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2017 12:07:57 -0500
To: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
Cc: Kaliya IDwoman <kaliya-id@identitywoman.net>, Andrew Bransford Brown <andrewbb@gmail.com>, Timothy Holborn <timothy.holborn@gmail.com>, W3C Credentials Community Group <public-credentials@w3.org>, Web Payments CG <public-webpayments@w3.org>
On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 9:10 AM, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
wrote:

> On 04/06/2017 09:31 PM, Kaliya IDwoman wrote:
> > Man camps of all kinds create markets for sex. Smart contracts don't
> > fix this problem
>
> Strongly agree.
>
> Technologists tend to incorrectly bias very heavily towards technology
> solving problems that are fundamentally more social than technical. We
> should measure our words more carefully, this thread being a case in point.

The article includes an andecote of a sex-worker keeping a peacekeeper's
identification until they were paid. How would "smart contracts" or
anything else internet-related help with this? It seems that the subject
matter experts in the space already have completely workable solutions to
their various use cases.