Re: UN peacekeepers 'barter goods for sex' - BBC News

On 04/06/2017 09:31 PM, Kaliya IDwoman wrote:
> Man camps of all kinds create markets for sex. Smart contracts don't
> fix this problem

Strongly agree.

Technologists tend to incorrectly bias very heavily towards technology
solving problems that are fundamentally more social than technical. We
should measure our words more carefully, this thread being a case in point.

One of the problems with sex trafficking, among most other criminal
activity, is that the criminals don't care about rule of law and are
incredibly good at exploiting people for their own gain. Having a
perfect blockchain + smart contract solution isn't going to make a dent
in the problem unless it's also paired with a very well funded and
concerted political and social effort to reduce trafficking.

We had the same issue at the last ID2020 event where some proposed
that Blockchain could "solve" the refugee problem.

These technologies may be used as a very small part of a solution, but
we should be very careful to NOT suggest that the technologies
themselves will address the issue.

That's not to say that we shouldn't incubate technologies that may be
used as part of a solution to a problem. We should just be very careful
to not suggest that they ARE the solution to the problem.

blog: Rebalancing How the Web is Built
http://manu.sporny.org/2016/rebalancing/