Re: Rough first draft of Level 0

On Mar 29, 2012, at 23:22 , Marcos Caceres wrote:
> In a slightly related note, there is an effort to un-crap XML, which may save having to convert all the useful things that are currently XML into JSON:
>
> "XML Error Recovery Community Group": http://www.w3.org/community/xml-er/
>
> That group is exploring how to apply HTML5-style error handling to XML parsing, which would make it much more developer friendly (in theory) and thus hopefully putting it back in vogue (and saving it from demise into enterprise-middleware oblivion!).

XML-ER isn't an attempt to "uncrap XML", its goal is to produce new parsing rules for XML so that it can be used in user-facing situations without punishing users for WF errors. It is also in its very early days, is somewhat speculative, and the editor only works on it very part time. It should not be considered as part of the solution space for anything at this point (even though it's otherwise a very interesting effort).

> Having said that, it might be quicker to just define an alternative JSON serialisation of the Widget's XML format. That's currently the domain of the Native Web Apps community group [1] (as chair of the CG, and editor of the Widget specs, happy to help!), as WebApps membership generally finds the widget work toxic so don't expect any support there (though ironically all browser vendors ship a widget/browser-extension platform of one sort or another).

I don't think that AppConfig is a widget thing, it really should work with for instance AppCache apps as well. This is in charter for WebApps (we made sure of that) and I think that's the right place to carry out the work.