Re: Rough first draft of Level 0

On Friday, 30 March 2012 at 03:00, Rich Tibbett wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 12:11 AM, Tobie Langel <tobie@fb.com (mailto:tobie@fb.com)> wrote:
> > On 3/30/12 12:01 AM, "Scott Wilson" <scott.bradley.wilson@gmail.com (mailto:scott.bradley.wilson@gmail.com)> wrote:
> >
> > > Or just publish Rich's thing as a Note and have done. Its not exactly
> > > rocket science.
> >

> For the record, did you mean:
>
> http://people.opera.com/richt/release/specs/manifests/widgets_to_app_manifest.html
> ?
>
> In which case, this is only a first draft and there are some
> subtleties that would need further work. Such work may include things
> such as adding symbolic links from existing properties to properties
> provided in this model (e.g. inclusion of Chrome's
> 'app.launch.web_url' that is a symbolic mapping to the included
> 'launch_path' property).
>
> It was a proof of concept exercise that would certainly need
> expanding. I'd be happy to be involved in that.

The document above is certainly a good start. However, as JSON schema's are not natively supported, we would need to generalise the parsing rules of P&C to work with JSON (should also be trivial, given that P&C already has this: http://www.w3.org/TR/widgets/#algorithm-to-process-a-configuration-document).

All we would need to do is find/replace XML terminology for JSON terminology (simply throw out namespaces, and use the locales definitions). Such as:

1.  Let doc be the result of loading the config document as a [JSON] document using an implementation of [ECMAScript5].

… we dump stupid namespaces, allow URLs in 'content:', and we are good to go :)

> > Well, unless you have vendors ready to implement it, publishing something
> > a Note won't get you very far. :(
>
> On a general note, it would be very good to have a JSON representation
> for W3C Widgets. As an implementor of the W3C Widget specifications
> there is certainly interest within Opera for implementing such a
> manifest. Developers would ultimately benefit from having to write
> only one descriptor per app. It's far too confusing the way it is
> today.

Do you mean that the format (XML) is confusing or having multiple formats to chose from is confusing?
> Something we should start a thread on in the Native Web Apps CG, Marcos?

Sounds good to me. Specially if we have developer specific feedback.

--
Marcos Caceres
http://datadriven.com.au