Re: Are features implemented or to be implemented? (Comments on the charter)

Hi Kenny,

Thanks for your feedback.

> On 3/1/12 7:17 AM, "Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu" <kennyluckco@gmail.com> wrote:
> A comment/question on the charter:
>
>   # These are some of the indicative criteria which the CG will use to
> select features to be included in the
>   # Specification:
>   # 1. The feature is already widely deployed,

This is just one of the possible criteria for inclusion. The criteria are
indicative only and a feature doesn't need to match any of them to be
considered for inclusion.

> This seems to indicate that a "feature" is something that's already
> widely implemented by the browser vendors. However, this part
>
>   # All normative content will be specified exclusively by reference to
> the original standard defining the
>   # feature. Additional non-normative implementation guidance may be
> included.
>
> seems to indicate that we are looking at new "features" the Core Mobile
> Web Platform needs.

I think you're misreading this. What it means is that it is not the role
of the CG to write specs for new features. Only to list a subset of
existing specs that implementors should support so that developers know
what they can rely on.

> So, are we trying to compile a handbook for new
> developers so that they can use HTML5 as a platform for mobile
> applications or are we trying to prioritize new features for browser
> vendors? Or are we doing both and this depends on the "level" we are at?
> I think this should be clarified.

Well, both really. There's a need to describe the current state of the
world, as there is a need to improve it.

> I came to this mailing list after reading Brendan Eich's post entitled
> "Community-Prioritized Web Standards" but I don't see the word
> "prioritize" in the charter, so I am now a bit confused.

It's right there, the first Goal of the CG at the top of the charter:
"Agree on core features developers can depend on."

Hope this helps,

--tobie