Re: Charter [via Core Mobile Web Platform Community Group]

UA sniffing for pointer detection has never been a solution, neither the Modernizer approach. Here the proof:

http://cdn.redmondpie.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/UseiPadwithMagicMouse.jpg

A touch enabled device is user dependent, and if Touch events are implemented as it is for all current browsers, these are fired before mouse events.

A solution I have talked about and used on daily basis in our HTML5 Web App is to lazy detect the user intention.

The user use a mouse, mouse events should be fired, no touch events upfront, we are in a mouse environment.
The user touch the screen, she probably gonna use fingers all the time due configuration of its device, a laptop switched into touch screen, or because she prefers to touch the page, rather than use other pointers such trackpad, mouse, or anything not Touch related.

It's a problem when your device, as it is probably for your Lenovo, exposes mouse events even if you are touching the screen … but these are things the OS should solve, not the Web, because otherwise there is no way to make everybody happy.

You can centralize events through a single entry point, and attach them, or swap them if you are brave enough, accordingly with the interaction.

touchstart means user chose to touch, mousedown or even before mousemove or wheel events, means the user chose a different pointer.

Media queries here do not help at all since presentation layer has nothing to do with the way the user interacts with the page.

My 2 cents.

Best Regards