Re: Project status

Great!
Thank you for setting all up, Tobie!

On 12/1/12 6:12 AM, "ext Tobie Langel" <tobie@fb.com> wrote:

>On 12/1/12 11:55 AM, "john.kneeland@nokia.com" <john.kneeland@nokia.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>For those of you who don't know me, I'm John Kneeland from Nokia's
>>developer relations team in Sunnyvale, where I work with Tomomi to help
>>bring awesome new things to life (such as Coremob Camera). Nice to meet
>>you all!
>
>For the record, John initiated this project. I just ran off with it.
>
>>Tobie, the site looks good so far. I really like the watercolor-style
>>illustrations,
>
>Thanks. The watercolors are done with Paper[1], by FiftyThree. I've
>sketched some ideas so each posts we've planned will have its own
>illustration.
>

>>although we will need something different for the app icon...I look
>>forward to going through a million ideas for the icon and UI design to
>>find the perfect one... :)
>
>With regards to the app's icon and design, I think Adobe volunteered to
>help with this. My only concern is that:
>
>1) it stays platform agnostic (I don't want an iPhone-app-like look and
>feel),
>2) it uses standards Coremob is promoting, not more advanced stuff
>(ideally showcasing flex-box),
>3) it respects the specs we've agreed on in terms of UX,
>4) someone actually does it, and
>5) it's awesome.

For icons, apple-touch-icon currently requires:
- 144 x 144 px
- 72 x 72 px
- 57 x 57 px

And many non iOS Safari browsers honor the apple-touch-icon.

My concern on UI is performance.
The app is already pretty sluggish because the canvas is pretty slow on
mobile, so I want to avoid anything else to slow the app down.

Fancy UI is awesome, but it has to be awesome & render quick on mobile. I
used a Web Font (Google Font) for the prototype app but it seems to be
pretty slow.
Also, I have not so far set up any media-queries and responsive images aka
high-res images for Retina.
I am not all against the ideas behind it, but we should minimize
downloading unnecessary large files.

And, I always have to argue about using animation for mobile - I have seen
some "Responsive Web Design" sites that animates the layout while the
window size/orientation changes. I personally think it just impresses the
developers, but not users.
I strongly believe that animation should be used only when it improves the
UX of the app.

>Might be cool to have a post about the design, now that I think about it.
>And also about all of the touch stuff. Mmm. Let's see who volunteers for
>what. We can always post stuff during or after MWC or publish more than a
>post a week if necessary.

By the way, speaking of MWC, I just found that W3Conf will be held in San
Francisco, a week before MWC.
I thought it would be a good opportunity to talk about CoreMob and this
project, so I just told Doug Schepers about this yesterday.

tomomi