Re: The test should include a check whether the function to turn off blinking content is documented

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 3:44 AM, <noreply@w3.org> wrote:

> Name: Detlev Fischer
> Email: fischer@dias.de
> Affiliation: DIAS GmbH
> Document: TD
> Item Number: G187
> Part of Item: Tests
> Comment Type: technical
> Summary of Issue: The test should include a check whether the function to
> turn off blinking content is documented
> Following the provision of Technique G4: "If keyboard shortcuts are used,
> they are documented" the test in G187 should include a check whether the
> function to turn off blinking content is documented (e.g., press the
> "Escape" key to turn off blinking)
>
> Proposed Change:
> Add a fourth checkpoint and extend the final statement:
>
> 4. Check if the browser's stop animation command (usually the Escape key)
> is described in the immediate context of the blinking content.
>
> Check #3 and #4 are true.
>
> ================================
We only state that they should be documented, not that they should be in the
immediate context of the blinking content. For example this might be
documented on the opening page of a long document full of things that blink.
In fact the switch to turn off the blinking may occur at the front so that
it turns off all of the blinking on all of the pages at once.

Also, all the techniques are optional. If G4 and G187 are both required then
there's no need to put the requirement G4 in G178. If they are not both
required then G4 stands as a separate technique. We don't embed techniques
and other techniques if they are not needed.

We are adding to the G178 description: "This feature can be provided either
through interactive controls that conform to WCAG or through keyboard
shortcuts. If keyboard shortcuts are used, they are documented."