Re: CDR: profiles specifying whether specialized DOM APIs are supported

Hello public-cdf,

Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> writes:

> Section 2.1.1
>
> "Compound document profiles must specify whether the specialized DOM
> APIs that are defined within the component languages are supported."
>
> - Surely it is up the individual language spects to determine whether
> their specialized DOM APIs are required or not. It would be
> inappropriate for a compound document profile to say that a DOM API
> is not required when the language spec says it is, for instance. I
> request that this be rewritten so as to clarify that profiles can't
> insist on things contrary to the language specs themselves.

The inference you draw is completely correct. What the language you
quote is trying to say, though, is

"Compound document profiles must specify whether the specialized DOM
APIs that are defined within the component languages are also supported
on other components."

As you note, the intent of CDF should not be (and is not intended) to
remove functionality from a component. Rather, it is to clearly state
whether or not the functionality from one component is available on
other components.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG