Re: CDR: Appendix B lacks testable conformance criteria for documents

On Jan 2, 2006, at 11:08 AM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 11:04:44 +0100, Maciej Stachowiak
> <mjs@apple.com> wrote:
>> "All Compound Documents must have a root document which has a DOM."
>>
>> - This spec by design only applies to XML-based languages, so this
>> does not seem like a meaningful criterion.
>
> Just to comment on this. CDR is basically about one document
> referencing another. As in:
>
>  <object data="foo">fallback...</object>
>
> ... such situations are not specific to XML-based languages. For
> example, the situation above can also arise in HTML. We did not see
> any strong reasons to make such restrictions at the framework
> level. In fact, a lot of the CDR documents that are out there are
> written in HTML. Think of framesets, iframes et cetera.

Hi Anne,

Actually, I agree that CDR should include HTML as a possible
participant. As currently written it specifies XML in a number of
places. I made a separate comment asking for HTML to be included.

However, even if that were changed, I think my comment still stands.
The CDR spec does not apply to something where the root document is
not a language with a DOM. Therefore I don't think this is meaningful
as a conformance criterion.

Regards,
Maciej