Re: CDR: profiles specifying whether specialized DOM APIs are supported

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 13:24:13 -0800
Cc: public-cdf@w3.org
To: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>

On Jan 11, 2006, at 7:04 AM, Chris Lilley wrote:

> Hello public-cdf,
>
> Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> writes:
>
>> Section 2.1.1
>>
>> "Compound document profiles must specify whether the specialized DOM
>> APIs that are defined within the component languages are supported."
>>
>> - Surely it is up the individual language spects to determine whether
>> their specialized DOM APIs are required or not. It would be
>> inappropriate for a compound document profile to say that a DOM API
>> is not required when the language spec says it is, for instance. I
>> request that this be rewritten so as to clarify that profiles can't
>> insist on things contrary to the language specs themselves.
>
> The inference you draw is completely correct. What the language you
> quote is trying to say, though, is
>
> "Compound document profiles must specify whether the specialized DOM
> APIs that are defined within the component languages are also
> supported
> on other components."
>
> As you note, the intent of CDF should not be (and is not intended) to
> remove functionality from a component. Rather, it is to clearly state
> whether or not the functionality from one component is available on
> other components.

Hi Chris,

I'm somewhat confused by this interpretation / possible rewording
too. In a CDR situation, I'm not sure what interfaces from one
component would appear on another. If HTML embeds SVG by reference in
an <object>, would the SVG elements implement the HTMLElement
interface? Or vice versa? I'm not getting how this would work. Maybe
you could give a concrete example of what is intended?

Regards,
Maciej