RE: FYI - "Mobile Web 2009 = Desktop Web 1998"

From: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 15:21:42 +0100
To: Jo Rabin <jrabin@mtld.mobi>
Cc: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>, Yeliz Yesilada <yesilady@cs.man.ac.uk>, Bruce Lawson <brucel@opera.com>, public-bpwg@w3.org
Le jeudi 05 mars 2009 à 20:28 +0000, Jo Rabin a écrit :
> Well, obviously time moves on and browser implementations improve.
> However, as I recall, when we tested this in the BPWG earlier in our
> history iirc it was not by any means universally the case that this is
> so. I expect that Dom has chapter on verse on this, as iirc it was he,
> as ever, that wrote the test for it.

I'm not sure we actually came up with a formal test for that one,
although I do remember we did some quick experimentation that showed
that indeed, quite a few browsers were not that smart wrt display:none.

I repaired the lack of such a formal test with:
http://www.w3.org/2009/03/image-display-none/test
aka http://w3.org/brief/MTEw
with results available at:
http://www.w3.org/2009/03/image-display-none/results
that confirm that Opera does it, but not Firefox, nor Blazer, nor
Netfront, nor IE6.

Feel free to try your own browser (mobile or not) with it; I've also
linked that test (as others previously written) from the test suites
working group home page:
http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/Tests/#existing

Dom