Re: FYI - "Mobile Web 2009 = Desktop Web 1998"

Bruce Lawson wrote:
> [apologies; pressed sent too early on last incarnation of this message]

seems the same as the one I replied to, exept for TBL's quote.

>> The success of the web was based on the basic assumption that whoever
>> could publish web content and they would know what end-users would see.
>
> No. The success of the web was based on the fact that any
> internet-enabled device could render the text.

No. the success of the web was based on the fact that a website would
render as expected on 99%+ of the browsers being used at the time of a
website's launch (I know this for a fact, I was there).

> "Anyone who slaps a 'this page is best viewed with Browser X' label on
> a Web page appears to be yearning for the bad old days, before the
> Web, when you had very little chance of reading a document written on
> another computer, another word processor, or another network."
>   -- Tim Berners-Lee in Technology Review, July 1996

it's not like I disagree with this, but I simply find this quote out of
context. Content owners should address as many browsers as possible
(including mobile) because it is probably in their interest to do so,
not because they have an obligation to do so.
Since they have no obbligation, nobody has the right to create
derivative work without their consent. It's all very simple.

Luca