ISSUE-237 (Define Mobile Web Applications): What is the definition of a "Mobile Web Application" for the purposes of BP2? [Mobile Web Applications Best Practices]

From: Mobile Web Best Practices Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 16:42:47 +0000 (GMT)
To: public-bpwg@w3.org

ISSUE-237 (Define Mobile Web Applications): What is the definition of a "Mobile Web Application" for the purposes of BP2? [Mobile Web Applications Best Practices]

http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/BPWG/Group/track/issues/

Raised by: Daniel Appelquist
On product: Mobile Web Applications Best Practices

We have a number of different (but I would say converging) views on what constitutes a Mobile Web Application.  My view is that we are talking about applications for which the user interface element executes in the browser/web technologies context. I would specifically put device APIs out of scope. I would specifically put widgets out of scope. I would specifically put non-"web" technologies such as flash and silverlight out of scope. Jo has suggested we could use the criterion of whether or not the technology uses the underlying technology of the DOM to define "Web technologies."  As agreed on today's call, this is an important enough issue to pull out from the discussion on scope and give it its own issue.  I want to come back to this issue on next week's call and take a resolution on this point so we can get this out of the way before the next F2f.

Discuss!

Dan