LC-2021: WML DOCTYPEs

From: Sean Patterson <SPatterson@Novarra.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 16:01:32 -0500
To: "public-bpwg-ct" <public-bpwg-ct@w3.org>
Comment:

3) Section 4.3.6

Under "Examples of mobile specific DOCTYPEs:", add:

-//WAPFORUM//DTD WML 1.3//EN
-//WAPFORUM//DTD WML 1.1//EN

Rationale: WML is still in use in the mobile Web. Responses of this type
are precisely the kind that should not be transformed, as WML is
intrinsically targeted at mobile devices only. WML can also be delivered
over HTTP, so the draft applies to this content as well.

Proposed Response:

These seem to be valid heuristics.  It makes sense that a CT proxy would
want to avoid transformation of WML, assuming the device can handle WML.
For devices that cannot handle WML, a CT proxy could probably perform a
useful service by transforming the WML into (X)HTML for WWW browsers.
Did we just leave these out by mistake, or did we consciously decide to
withhold comment on WML?  (I can't remember.)

Sean