LC-2022: i-mode heuristic

From: Sean Patterson <SPatterson@Novarra.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 16:01:37 -0500
To: "public-bpwg-ct" <public-bpwg-ct@w3.org>
Comment:

4) Section 4.3.6

The proposed heuristics seem to fail completely for i-mode sites,
because:
a) i-Mode sites often do not have peculiar URL distinguishing them from
(non-mobile) sites, and in any case the prefix imode.* is not included
in the list of URI patterns to check for.
b) i-Mode sites return mostly their content as text/html.
c) i-Mode sites do not include a DOCTYPE.
d) The markup for i-Mode does not cater for the utilization of the link
element as proposed in the draft, which is therefore not included
in i-Mode content.
e) i-Mode servers do not have much use for the "no-transform" directive,
and hence do not necessarily implement it.

Proposed Response:

It seems reasonable to me to add imode.* to the list of heuristics,
assuming the device/browser supports i-mode.  For devices that do not
support i-mode, a CT proxy might provide a useful service to convert
i-mode content to (X)HTML for display on WWW browsers.  I don't remember
i-Mode being discussed much, if at all, in the CT Task Force meetings
and teleconferences.  It probably just fell through the cracks.

Sean