Content Transformation Guidelines 1m (Rev 13) [was Re: Content Transformation Guidelines 1l (Rev 12) and Change List]

Hi

I started this draft [1] in the hope of having it ready for today's
meeting, but in the event was not able to. The following update notes
are based around Sean's notes some typos and clarification I spotted.

I've also added notes regarding changes arising from today's meeting and
last week's too. Read below for the full and gory details.

[1]
http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/BPWG/Group/TaskForces/CT/editors-drafts/Guidelines/080722

Diffs are linked from within the document.

@@TODO - Add examples [that means YOU!]
@@TODO - Conformance Statement [Francois, please? pretty please?]
@@TODO - Final references for BP Guidelines and mobileOK
@@TODO - Anything else that you spot and that I have missed :-(

Jo

On 18/07/2008 21:47, Sean Patterson wrote:
> Comments on the draft 1l:
>
> Section 2.1:
> --Bracket and quote nesting problem.  In the definition of
> non-transparent proxy, there is a left bracket ([) followed later by a
> double quote.  However, the closing right bracket (]) appears before the
> closing double quote.  I'm assuming that the closing double quote should
> actually appear right immediately before the closing right
> bracket--right after "anonymity filtering."
Yes, it's a mess. I'll do something about sorting out the mess that
XMLSpec's default <termdef> leaves in its wake.

> Section 3.1.3
> --Missing right parenthesis after "see 3.1.2 no-transform directive in
> Request".

tks

> Section 3.1.4
> --Response to the editorial note:  For responses that are paginated, the
> CT proxy will need to cache the response for a finite amount of time in
> order to be able to return subsequent sections of a paginated Web page,
> even for no-cache responses or responses the expire very quickly.

OK - as discussed on today's call.

> Section 3.1.5
> --Missing right parenthesis at the end of item 1.

tks

> Section 3.1.5.2
> --In the second paragraph, "A proxy must not issue a POST/PUT..." should
> be "A proxy must not *reissue* a POST/PUT...".
OK

> Section 3.1.5.3
> server to include the Cache-Control: no-transform header when the origin
> server wants to make sure that client receives the origin server's
> choice of representation?  (As mentioned in section 3.2.3.2.)
Yes, I think it is, on reflection. And as resolved today.

> Section 3.1.6.1
> --The word "should" in the first sentence should be in bold.

tks

> Section 3.2.2
> --I agree with the suggestion in the editorial note that the note about
> the META HTTP-Equiv element should be moved to an appendix.  It doesn't
> really seem to fit here and since there is no explanation of why META
> HTTP-Equiv might be necessary, readers might be scratching their heads
> about this note.
Following discussion today, which resolved to move it to an appendix, I
actually didn't do that I left it in under Proxy Forwarding of Response
seems like more of the right kind of place for it to be, on reflection.

> Section 3.2.3.2
> --I had a bit of trouble comprehending the bullet list in this section
> because the sentence introducing the list seems to indicate that both
> bullets will be about LINK elements that refer to the representation of
> the page containing the LINK element(s).  In reality the second bullet
> is about representations other than the current representation.  Maybe
> this section could be improved by removing the bullet list and combining
> the introductory sentence and the first bullet into one paragraph and
> the second bullet into another paragraph (with some additional
> introductory text such as "To indicate additional available
> representations of the HTML content, [bullet 2 text]").  Seems like a
> small point, but I think this would make this section easier to
> understand.
Good idea, done, tks

> --I was going to suggest that there should be some examples of what the
> LINK elements would look like, but it looks like those will be covered
> in an appendix.  This is a good idea since it may not be immediately
> obvious how these LINK elements should look.  References to the relevant
> W3C recommendations (or a glossary at least) might also be in order for
> the definitions of fragment identifiers and media types.
good point, RFC 3986 is the reference in question.

> Section 3.3.4
> --In this section, it is stated that if a request from the CT proxy is
> made with altered headers and the origin server responds with a Vary
> header referring to one of the altered headers, unaltered headers should
> *always* be presented first on subsequent requests for this resource.  I
> don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that a lower traffic
> web site (for example) might create a mobile version of its site then
> determine that it is too much work for the amount of traffic received.
> Such a site might then just start sending back a 406 for all mobile
> requests.  The restriction of "always" means that heuristics of section
> 3.1.5.2 can no longer be used to allow the CT proxy to send altered
> headers first even thought the CT proxy is going to send a 406 every
> time.  A statement that unaltered headers should be sent first unless
> the server modifies its behavior to no longer handle the unaltered
> headers would be a good idea here.
OK so I altered this hopefully to suit.

> Section 3.3.5
> --For consistency reasons, "SHOULD" should be lowercase and in bold.

thanks, done

> Section 3.3.6
> --The third bullet could use some improved formatting to make it easier
> to read.  Perhaps as a list.  Did we resolve to remove examples of
> content types?  Seems odd that we list several DOCTYPE examples but no
> content type examples.
OK have reformatted
ref content-type as discussed today.

> Section B.1
> --As mentioned by someone else (I can't remember whom), we should
> replace "bogus" by "unacceptable" since we haven't defined "bogus."
fair enough.

As discussed today, we need contributions to these examples.

> Section D.5
> if you change "recoding" to "recording".  I am assuming that this
> sentence is referring to the fact that we had to resort to X-headers to
> send the original headers to the origin server.
yes, you are right. Clearly needs re-wording if the editor can't make
head or tail of it. Have tried new wording

> General comment:
> --I still think there should be some mention of how users can make their
> preferences known to the CT server.  Perhaps a non-normative appendix
> that mentions the stuff in the old 3.2.1 and 3.2.3 sections as examples
> of how a user would specify his/her preferences.

I've offered some text in a new Appendix.

> Sean

 From Today's Agenda/Call

1. Appendix B: Example Transformation Interactions
Awaiting examples

2. CT and direct choice of user experience

per above, dropped

3. HTTPS link re-writing
------------------------
Note added per above

4. No mention of Content-Types in 3.3.6
---------------------------------------
reworded per above

5. meta http-equiv note in 3.2.2
--------------------------------

removed from Server actions, retained in Proxy Actions, not added as a
note in a non normative appendix - as described above

6. Pagination and caching directives
------------------------------------

Text amended per above

7. Link element section structure (3.2.3.2)

reworded per above

8. Receipt of Vary HTTP header (3.3.4)
--------------------------------------

reworded per above

9. Typo fixes
-------------

per above

10. Allow/Disallow lists
------------------------

PROPOSED RESOLUTION: allow/disallow lists fit in "heuristics of various
kinds" in 3.1.5.2. Do not mention allow/disallow lists explicitly on the
grounds that we do not want to prescribe how a CT-proxy works internally.

No mention added. New Appendix on Admin Arrangements has some bearing
on this.

11. Persistent expression of user preferences

PROPOSED RESOLUTION: mention Administrative arrangements as out of scope
in a non-normative appendix

done.

 From minutes of 15th July

Resolution taken:
- Remove Caveat on WML from scoping statement (it appears further down
in the document)

done