Re: Adding MIDI APIs to Audio WG Charter (was: MIDI enumeration (was: Re: getUserMedia use cases))

I just want to point out that most music scoring programs (including ours) don't use GM, but include their own bespoke synth, because of the problems with lack of consistency in GM playback (and as Chris found, sometimes its outright unavailability).  Consistent playback is super important in most of these applications, since scores are inevitably tweaked to sound good with the particular playback synth used by the author and the program is seen as broken if these qualities do not come through in some other user's environment.

This problem extends to other music applications other than digital audio workstations (DAWs), in particular most training/education programs, as it's very hard to create educational content in these apps that does not wind up strongly relying on the musical character of a particular synth.  Consequently most include some sort of self-contained synthesizer.

DAWs are kind of the major exception to this issue since they are often used by one user on one machine, to create a particular work which is then rendered into audio using that machine's installed MIDI rig.

So while I think MIDI output is indeed very important, for the apps that were cited as "more likely the use case for GM", I think these are actually rather unlikely to use GM.  Rather, they are likely to perform MIDI content through a JS-based synthesizer (based on an audio API in the browser of course) whose playback characteristics are known up front.

Joe Berkovitz
President

Noteflight LLC
84 Hamilton St, Cambridge, MA 02139