W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-audio@w3.org > January to March 2012

Re: UC 7 - Audio / Music Visualization

From: Alistair MacDonald <al@signedon.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 13:06:53 -0500
Message-ID: <CAJX8r2nJzPdgHBvRu0fQ1PQS_wn2MSQtpL4UXnVyjs0zRqW3zw@mail.gmail.com>
To: Olivier Thereaux <olivier.thereaux@bbc.co.uk>
Cc: public-audio@w3.org
Great point. Updated to include some examples:

=== UC 7: Audio / Music Visualization ===

A user is playing back audio or video media from the webpage of their
favorite artist or a popular online music streaming service. The
visualization responds to the audio in real-time and can be enjoyed by the
user(s) in a leisurely setting such as: at home, a bar/restaurant/lobby, or
traveling with an HTML5 capable mobile device. The visualization layers can
be written using complimentary web technologies such as the WebGL Canvas,
where 3D objects are synchronized with the audio and mixed with Video and
other web content using JavaScript.

The webpage can presents a graphic visualization layers such as:

* Wave-form view of the audio data - such as on SoundCloud:
http://soundcloud.com/skrillex
* Spectrum analysis or level-meter view - like in iTunes:
http://apptree.net/ledsa.htm
* Abstract music visualizer - example, R4 for Winamp:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en3g-BiTZT0
* An HTML5 Music Video - such as Mr Doob's Ro.me: http://www.ro.me/

The user can control elements of the visualization using an interface
provided by the webpage developer. The user can change the colors, shapes
and tweak other visualization settings to their taste. The user may switch
to a new visualization modes: changing from a spectrum-analysis view, to an
abstract 2D or 3D visual view, a video overlay, or a mash-up of web-content
that could include all of the above.

The webpage provides the user with the ability to control the buffer size
of the underlying Audio API: this allows users with slower machines to pick
a larger buffer setting that does not cause clicks and pops in the audio
stream.




On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 12:20 PM, Olivier Thereaux <
olivier.thereaux@bbc.co.uk> wrote:

> Looks good!
>
> Would it make sense to talk about the kind of visualisation you can see on
> services like soundcloud, where the whole audio stream/file is visualised
> in a single 2D graph: e.g. http://soundcloud.com/**snowpatrol<http://soundcloud.com/snowpatrol>?
>
> Link to UC7 for those who want to see it in context:
> http://www.w3.org/2011/audio/**wiki/Use_Cases_and_**
> Requirements#UC_7:_Audio_.2F_**Music_Visualization<http://www.w3.org/2011/audio/wiki/Use_Cases_and_Requirements#UC_7:_Audio_.2F_Music_Visualization>
>
> Olivier
>
>
>
>
> On 16/01/2012 16:56, Alistair MacDonald wrote:
>
>>
>>      I took a quick pass at use-case 7 and wondered if anyone had
>>      thoughts/comments?
>>
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> -- Al
>>
>>
>>      UC 7: Audio / Music Visualization
>>
>> A user is playing back audio or video media from the webpage of their
>> favorite artist or a popular online music streaming service. The webpage
>> presents a graphic visualization layer that responds to the music in
>> real-time that the user may enjoy in a leisurely setting such as: at
>> home, a bar/restaurant/lobby, or traveling with an HTML5 capable mobile
>> device. The visualization layer is written using complimentary web
>> technologies such as the WebGL Canvas, where 3D objects are synchronized
>> with the audio and mixed with Video and other web content using
>> JavaScript.
>>
>> The user can control elements of the visualization using an interface
>> provided by the webpage developer. The user can change the colors,
>> shapes and tweak other visualization settings to their taste. The user
>> may switch to a new visualization modes: changing from a
>> spectrum-analysis view, to an abstract 2D or 3D visual view, a video
>> overlay, or a mash-up of web-content that could include all of the above.
>>
>> The webpage provides the user with the ability to control the buffer
>> size of the underlying Audio API: this allows users with slower machines
>> to pick a larger buffer setting that does not cause clicks and pops in
>> the audio stream.
>>
>
>


-- 
Alistair MacDonald
SignedOn, Inc - W3C Audio WG
Boston, MA, (707) 701-3730
al@signedon.com - http://signedon.com
Received on Monday, 16 January 2012 18:07:21 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 16 January 2012 18:07:22 GMT