Re: Updated Schema Architypes Straw Man Proposal

As I think I’ve mentioned, there’s a group in the US that’s starting to work up some examples using the schema properties for our resources.  We had a meeting earlier this week and I wanted to mention a couple of things here for discussion.

·         We’re unclear what the difference between the URL and the @id property is.  If we have a URI for the collection, which schema property should we be using?  I’ll also mention that I’m still a bit confused about the URIs we’re using.  In the examples Richard posted, the URIs are URIs for the finding aid description of the collection, not the collection/object itself.  Should we make that clear somehow using a /#collection convention or something else?

·         We’d like a more specific definition of what an ArchiveItem is.  Archival description being as hierarchical as it is, we can’t figure out when we’d use ArchiveItem except perhaps for individual digitized objects.  Usually the lowest level in an archival description is a folder, which would be a collection of ArchiveItems.

·         We agree with others who have said that we need an extent property that conveys the size of the ArchiveCollection.  We’d want to use this at the collection/subcollection/item levels.

We’ve also done some mappings between schema and DACS/ISAAR-CPF/ISAD(G) and two archival management systems (ArchivesSpace and AtoM).  These are still a work-in-progress, but are open if anyone is interested: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jsPRML3BCkF4EdWTR4r2ooAw2iTndErLZlse0cs3Osk/edit#gid=0 .  Our impetus for doing so is that we hope to both use schema for front end interfaces as well as outputting archival description in LOD.  We realize that we will have to use other ontologies to fully express all of our metadata in LD, but we’re trying to see how far we can get with schema due to wide adoption of the namespace.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Russey Roke
Digital Archivist
Stuart A. Rose Manuscript, Archives, & Rare Book Library
404.727.2345 | erussey@emory.edu<mailto:erussey@emory.edu>

[cid:image001.png@01D2D53E.9E540200]

"The Stuart A. Rose Manuscript, Archives, & Rare Book Library collects and connects stories of human experience, promotes access and learning, and offers opportunities for dialogue for all wise hearts who seek knowledge.”

Read the Rose Library blog: https://scholarblogs.emory.edu/marbl/

Like the Rose Library on Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/emorymarbl

Follow the Rose Library on Twitter: https://twitter.com/EmoryRoseMARBL