Re: Updated Schema Architypes Straw Man Proposal

Hi Richard,

Thanks!

 I’ve realised a few of the things that threw me come down to the fact that you are referring to e.g. "Sound Recordings about Ronnie Barker” as an ‘Archive Collection' I would never refer to this as a 'Collection’, so any mention you made of Collection I assumed meant the top level, which in archival parlance is the Collection. The Audio Recordings are a “series”. But I can see you’ve called the Audio Recordings  #An Archive Collection, so I should have realised this.

I can go with the idea that anything above an item is a collection for the purposes of schema.org, but its so not what I’m used to that I didn’t realise this is what you were doing. Archivists never really use the term “Collection” to mean part of a collection.

> If we did use something like collectionSize then that would imply top level (collection level)
>
> Why would it imply anything other than the size of the ArchiveCollection being described, be it a sub-collection, a single collection, a collection containing sub-collections?

I assumed that if we used the term ‘collectionSize’ it would refer to a Collection for the reasons stated above, but you are saying it could refer to e.g. a series or a a sub-series, or in other words any group of archives being described.

However, if we apply schema.org to descriptions of archives, it will be difficult to distinguish between “item” and anything that is more than one item (which you have called “collection”). If you use EAD you often just use <c> tags to nest the hierarchy and you don’t necessarily specify that something is an item - its just a child of the preceding unit of description.  Therefore, I think we would simply use #ArchiveCollection for any level of description unless we can identify that the unit being described is an item (or piece). So, we will end up with e.g. a single letter that is part of a large collection actually being an Archive Collection in terms of schema.org

Ha! The delights of archival hierarchy.

> The example indicates that one of the archiveHeld (held, kept or maintained by) by the Archive organization (“V&A Theatre and Performance Collections”) is https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb71-thm/407/thm/407 (The Ronnie Barker Collection).

Yep, that’s fine. Again, we might not use that, as we’d have to enter 100’s of URIs for collections held at the V&A, but of course it should be available to use.

> It also indicates, using the location property of ArchiveCollection, that the Ronnie Barker Collection is located at the “V&A Theatre and Performance Collections” Archive.

Again, that’s clear to me.

cheers,
Jane