[widgets-reqs] re: Widget state change events and notification priority (comment 19) (was: Comments on http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-widgets-reqs-20070209)

From: Marcos Caceres <m.caceres@qut.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 14:57:28 +1000
To: bert@w3.org, "WAF WG (public)" <public-appformats@w3.org>

This is a response to Bert Bos' review [1] of the Widgets 1.0
Requirements document [2].

> COMMENT 19) In a multitasking environment, a program cannot always put
> itself on top of all other programs on the screen. The widget (or some
> window of the widget) can categorize itself as critical and then it is
> up to the OS or window manager to find a suitable way to inform the
> user. E.g., Mac OS X bounces the program's icon in the dock when the
> program has a critical window to display. That way other programs are
> not interrupted and don't loose the focus. So the requirement should be
> that the widget (or any of its windows) can categorize itself as
> critical, floating, output-only, etc., which may cause some
> environments to treat it specially.

I have added a new requirement to reflect this. The text is a little
flaky but I will fix it as soon as possible. For lack of a better
title, I have initially called the new requirement "Priority

R26. Priority Categorization
An instantiated Widget (or any of its windows) should be able to
categorize itself to the widget engine as critical, floating,
output-only, etc. Some of these mode changes may require the user's
attention, in which case the widget engine should find a suitable and
non-intrusive way to draw the user's attention. An example of this
kind of behavior can be seen on Mac OS X, where a program's icon
bounces in the dock when a program has a critical window to display.

Marcos Caceres

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-appformats/2007Feb/0131.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-widgets-reqs-20070209/