[widgets-reqs] re: Manifest independence (comment 22, 23) (was: Comments on http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-widgets-reqs-20070209)

From: Marcos Caceres <m.caceres@qut.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 14:57:44 +1000
To: bert@w3.org, "WAF WG (public)" <public-appformats@w3.org>

This is a response to Bert Bos' review [1] of the Widgets 1.0
Requirements document [2].

> COMMENT 22) Is this necessarily the author's choice, or can a server
> also serve the manifest automatically? I expect the latter. E.g., the
> Jigsaw server understands JPEG/JFIF as a package format and is able to
> serve either the package its the metadata (XMP only for now).

I have updated the text of R20 (was R21): "An author may provide a
copy of the manifest separately from the package, or, alternatively
the server may automatically extract the manifest from a package and
serve it upon request"

> COMMENT 23) For this feature to be useful, it seems there is an implicit
> requirement R21a that there is a URL scheme (at least for "http:") that
> identifies the manifest of a given widget, e.g., by adding
> ";text/widget-manifest" at the end of the URL.

Thanks for this input; we will defiantly hash this out further in the
Widgets 1.0 Spec.

--
Marcos Caceres
http://datadriven.com.au