Re: A question on sXBL and XBL 2.0

Hervé Girod wrote:
> I just saw on W3C Web site that Web appformats WG has released a Last
> Call Working Draft for XBL 2.0, and I have some questions about the WG
> strategy about XBL 2.0 / sXBL relationship.

   From the XBL 2.0 Last Call working draft:

| Although they have had related histories, this specification is
| separate from the W3C's "sXBL" drafts, and is not compatible with
| them. (The two efforts use different namespaces, for one.)

> - will the sXBL working draft be dropped in favor of the more general
> XBL 2.0 (there is a specific chapter on XBL 2.0 with SVG, and it seems,
> by looking at the table of contents, that the xSBL TOC is a subset of
> XBL 2. TOC too) ?

   I've heard rumors that sXBL is dead. The working draft for sXBL is
over a year old. Considering that XBL 2.0 is now in Last Call, it's
probably a safe bet that the rumors are true.

> - is sXBL a subset of XBL 2.0, or is there some ([voluntary]) subtle
> differences between the two recomandations ?

   Originally, sXBL was supposed to be a subset of XBL 2.0 for SVG, and
XBL 2.0 would have been based on sXBL once the specification reached
maturity. I think what happened is when sXBL stalled, they went ahead
with XBL 2.0 and broke compatibility with sXBL as it became increasingly
outdated.