FW: PSO GA Letter

-----Original Message-----
From: M. Stuart Lynn [mailto:lynn@icann.org]
Sent: 08 August 2001 04:13
To: Livia Rosu Lunguran
Cc: vint cerf
Subject: Re: PSO GA Letter

Dear Livia -- Please be so kind as to forward this note to the PSO
Council. Thank you. Stuart

Dear PSO Council:

I am pleased to learn that the PSO had a productive meeting of the
PSO General Assembly. I have read the report posted on the website
with great interest, and look forward to the posting of the
presentations themselves.

I  regret that I was not able to attend personally. As I informed Ms.
Lunguran when she extended your thoughtful invitation, I had already
committed to a keynote speaking engagement at ChinaInet2001 several
weeks before your invitation was received. This calendar conflict was
unfortunate since I would otherwise  wanted to attend the PSO General
Assembly meeting. The same reason prevented my participating by audio
bridge. Perhaps next year it might be possible to schedule the PSO
General Assembly meeting further in advance since I would very much
like to attend then.

Other senior staff were faced with similar calendar and time
conflicts. However, as we informed Ms. Lunguran on several occasions,
we asked Mr. Hans Kraaijenbrink and Mr. Helmut Schink to attend not
just as interested directors but also on behalf of ICANN staff. Were
it not for this, it is my understanding that Hans Kraaijenbrink was
not otherwise planning to attend, but made a special point of
participating because he had graciously agreed to act on our behalf
along with Mr. Schink. Participation by informed directors in this
way appears to us to be a much better approach than other possible
remedies in those situations where in person participation by a
senior staff member is not feasible.

However, I do understand your concern, and share your views that we
need to find a better solution next year. Thank you for all of your
work on behalf of the PSO and ICANN.

With warm regards
Stuart

Whereas

>Dear Mr. Lynn,
>
>As you know, the ICANN PSO held its Second Annual General Meeting on the
>11th July at the ETSI Headquarters in the South of France.  It was well
>attended, with all four of the PSO member organisations being represented,
>and two European based members of the ICANN Board also present (Mr. Hans
>Kraaijenbrink and Mr. Helmut Schink).  The number of attendees was slightly
>up on last year, at a total of 60.  A report of the meeting will appear
>shortly on the PSO website, where you will already find copies of all the
>presentations given.
>
>We had also included on the agenda an item involving the ICANN staff in
>order to give an opportunity for ICANN to inform people about recent issues
>and to allow people to ask questions. Last year, in Pittsburgh, we had Mr.
>Louis Touton in attendance, and we were disappointed that ICANN staff were
>not able to be involved this time. We are obliged by our MoU to hold our
GA,

--

Stuart Lynn