Re: PSO nominees to the New TLD Evaluation Process Planning Task Forc e

Dear Friends,

I fully share Azucena's concerns about the way this is being handled.  We should
not allow the ICANN staff to interfere with the democratically reached decisions
of the PSO Council, even if they do it in a way which is in addition to the
request which they made directly to us.

The minutes of our last teleconference say:

In this light, ICANN has sought PSO advice and requested the PSO Council to
   provide nominees willing to serve on the new Task Force.

   The PSO-PC members have decided to come back with proposals (2 individuals)
   on the PSO-PC exploder and confirm to the ICANN Board by the latest 11 July
2001
   (the date of the PSO GA).

So we should do just that.  I kindly request Steve to "send in some names" not
to ICANN but to us, so that they can be first agreed by the PSO Council, then
forwarded by the secretary to ICANN.

This time it may be trivial, but next time it may not be, and I would like to
feel we work in a consistent way on all ICANN requests to the PC.

Having got that off my chest, may I as the elder partner of the GA hosting
organisation thank Steve and Phillip for ensuring that we had representation
from all the signatories to the PSO MOU.  It was unfortunate that Leslie and
Danny were not able to come since I think they missed quite a good GA, with good
attendance (around 60), good presentations, and good questions.  It is always
going to be a problem to justify travelling across the Atlantic for what amounts
to a couple of hours!

Many thanks to all, especially Livia who made all the fine arrangements.

Gerry

---------------------- Forwarded by Gerry Lawrence/MAIN/MC1 on 13/07/2001 04:00

"Steven M. Bellovin" <smb@RESEARCH.ATT.COM> on 13/07/2001 12:57:30 am

Please respond to "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb@RESEARCH.ATT.COM>