Re: SWAP WG Charter -- Second iteration

From: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 12:19:20 -0400
To: "Jon Pyke" <gfd67@dial.pipex.com>
cc: "Surendra Reddy" <skreddy@us.oracle.com>, "Fernstrom, Christer" <Christer.Fernstrom@xrce.xerox.com>, swap-wg@netscape.com, ietf-swap@w3.org, moore@cs.utk.edu, paf@swip.net, moore@cs.utk.edu
> Perhaps I'm losing the plot along the way - I thought SWAP was aimed at
> being a workflow standard - if that's so then I think there is value in
> working with or as part of WfMC - SWAP would make an excellent extension to
> IF4, which I thought was the original intention.

It's fine if the work is technically sound and the WG wants to go that
way, but I'm not going to impose that constraint,  and I'll lobby hard
to keep other IESG or IAB folks from imposing that constraint.

It's been my experience that other standards organizations, especially
"industry standard" organizations often produce large amounts of garbage.
This isn't a comment on the WfMC stuff, since I haven't evaluated it.
But in general I'm not going to insist that an IETF working group adhere
to the work of some other body, unless that work is known to be of
unimpeachable quality.

Keith