Re: 6455 Websockets and the relationship to HTTP

From: Jacob Champion <champion.p@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2016 09:52:18 -0800
To: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
On 12/01/2016 07:14 PM, Patrick McManus wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 9:33 PM, Andy Green <andy@warmcat.com
> <mailto:andy@warmcat.com>> wrote:
>
>     The actual game here is "provide a transport for JS WS API on h2".  It
>
> indeed

I, for one, would be pretty disappointed if that were the case. Last I
checked, the Javascript WS API still only provided a subset of 6455, and
browsers are not the only clients I care about.

I want the "actual game" to be "provide a transport over h2 that
provides the same semantics as the WebSocket protocol", so that existing
clients of WS subprotocols can be switched over to the new transport
without modifications to their business logic.

--Jacob