Re: RST_STREAM(OK) after an HTTP response

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 11:24:39 +0100
To: Osama Mazahir <OSAMAM@microsoft.com>
Cc: Jeff Pinner <jpinner@twitter.com>, Matthew Cox <macox@microsoft.com>, Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com>, Michaela LaVan <mlavan@google.com>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, Mike Bishop <Michael.Bishop@microsoft.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 27 September 2014 00:16, Osama Mazahir <OSAMAM@microsoft.com> wrote:
> What is desired here is to emit some signal that indicates: "hey...you don't need to bother sending me any more body because it's irrelevant".

There is an alternative: recommend that clients reset their own
request streams once the response is received.

If the intent is to terminate the transmission of excess bytes of a
request, then this achieves that goal.  The disadvantage being that
there is less determinism from the server perspective.  The server
still has its flow control window, I guess.

I don't see any value in a new mechanism to solve this problem.