Re: RST_STREAM(OK) after an HTTP response

On 27 September 2014 20:24, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com> wrote:

> There is an alternative: recommend that clients reset their own
> request streams once the response is received.

This would break existing applications.   It is perfectly legal HTTP to
send a response and then consume the request content.   Clients should not
reset the stream after the response is read as the server may still wish to
consume the body being sent.

Sure, in many/most use-cases it is entirely premature for a server to send
a response before consuming the body, but there are use-cases where it does
make sense... or at least where it is currently done and expected to keep
working.

The only party that knows if the request body is required or not is the
server.   It's perfectly able to send a reset now, and I think the only
real issue is that the spec says that resets are "abnormal termination".
Renaming that to an "immediate termination" and using the existing NO_ERROR
code would cover this case.

cheers

--
Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com>