Re: h2#404 requiring gzip and/or deflate

* Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>I disagree.
>
>The overhead is minute, for instance the filename is optional and seldomly
>used in HTTP context.
>
>The CRC32 it brings is a very good integrity check which suprisingly
>often uncovers trouble.
>
>Gzip further has the advantage that there are plenty of command line
>tools available for it, whereas deflate is quite hard to produce with
>regular tools.

I think `gzip` is a good match for HTTP/1.1 where compression got added
later and the headers are so large that you do not feel the 18 bytes of
minimum overhead, but for a mandatory-to-implement compression scheme I
do not think tools make for a good argument, and I note that libraries
in my experience more commonly support the RFC 1950 zlib format or raw
RFC 1951 streams than RFC 1952 gzip streams; if checksums and an estab-
lished format are important, RFC 1950 has only 6 bytes minimum overhead
(2 bytes flags, 4 bytes Adler32 checksum).