Re: disabling header compression

On 13 December 2013 08:45, Patrick McManus <pmcmanus@mozilla.com> wrote:
> this is all well trodden territory. HTTP/1 has taught us the folly of
> optional features. (gzip requests, trailers, etc..)
>
> Figure out what is important, define it, and then use it widely. HTTP/2 has
> done a pretty decent job of that so far with really just one significant
> exception (and that has a decent reason (flow control)).

I think that there's a simple out for someone who is somehow unwilling
to implement a decompressor, set the context to zero, and send
RST_STREAM on stuff that relies on the header table.  That will work
perfectly well at the cost of a round trip.

I'd rather that those implementations take that hit than every
implementation.  As Patrick says: game it out and you will see that
making it optional creates some perverse incentives.

(We made push optional, but that's because we don't have the same
clear indication that this is valuable.  Even there, the decision
wasn't certain.)