Re: Our ALPN protocol IDs

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 10:00:37 -0800
To: Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org>
Cc: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 5 December 2013 09:49, Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org> wrote:
> Well, is HTTP/2.1 going to be “incompatible” with HTTP/2.0?

That's not a question that can be answered without a crystal ball, so
how about I answer a different question.  If HTTP/2.1 turns out to be
incompatible, it will need to be negotiated using a new identifier.
If it turns out to be compatible, then we'll work something out.

I know that sounds a little unsatisfying, but it's the incompatible
changes that hurt, and we have discussed a way to avoid bad stuff from
happening when we need to do that.  Plotting out a path for compatible
changes doesn't really add value.  That said, feel free to propose
something.