Re: What will incentivize deployment of explicit proxies?

On 4/12/13 3:57 AM, Peter Lepeska wrote:

> I wonder if MITM proxy operators have any legal concerns about viewing
> content owners' traffic without their consent or even an indication
> that the MITM is active. The proxy operators "own" their users'
> devices presumably but not content owners' data. I think an ideal
> explicit proxy would allow proxies to make their presence known to
> content owners.

Hi, Peter

Proxy vendor here. We can't make sweeping statements about legal
concerns of proxy operators, because they vary from country to country
and from state to state in federated countries.

There are also many variables that may or may not be relevant legally or
ethically. One is the question of visibility to humans. A next
generation firewall scans the resources going through HTTP and then
either transfers them on or drops them. The traffic is never stored and
never visible to any administrator. The only thing that is visible is a
log saying: "User JohnSmith tried to GET resource
https://warez.example.com/downloads/cracked_microsoft_office_2013.exe ,
which contained virus xxxxxxxxxx".   So that's metadata.  Is that OK?  I
don't know. That's why I'm arguing for visibility of the proxy.

Same goes for a Caching proxy. As long as nobody sees the content,
what's the harm. If the proxy is used for reading people's emails and
social network posts, and forwarding them to the proper authorities if
they seem too subversive, the legal and ethical concerns are different.
This is the other reason why we need proxies to be explicitly
configured. Without that, all of the above proxies look the same.

My company's product does not export HTTPS content. It's strictly a
firewall, and there's no usable way to export the data. The problem is
that there is no technical way to distinguish this kind of product from
one that does export decrypted traffic.

Yoav