Re: What will incentivize deployment of explicit proxies?

I like the way you've laid this out from the perspective of incentives to
adopt.

"Now, as far case (2), if the proxy operators can already deploy their MITM
certs on client devices, then they already own those devices. This sounds
like enterprise computing devices or schools or prisons or what not. Now,
if they already own the devices on this network, what incentive do they
have to adopt explicit proxies? It sounds like they would just lose power.
Is there a carrot here? SSL MITM proxies are already transparent to the
client and origin server, so I don't see what leverage either entity has
here."

I wonder if MITM proxy operators have any legal concerns about viewing
content owners' traffic without their consent or even an indication that
the MITM is active. The proxy operators "own" their users' devices
presumably but not content owners' data. I think an ideal explicit proxy
would allow proxies to make their presence known to content owners.

Peter