Re: Call for Proposals re: #314 HTTP2 and http:// URIs on the "open" internet

In message <20131120072826.GH22150@1wt.eu>, Willy Tarreau writes:
>On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 04:08:49AM +0000, Adrien de Croy wrote:
>>
>> my 2c is that http/2.0 (TLS or not) is enough of a departure from http,
>> that trying to put plaintext http/2.0 over port 80 will just be an
>> impossible nightmare.
>
>Changing the port will require to change the scheme as well otherwise
>it will end up being even worse. For example, *right now* over the net
>and even much more in corporate networks, you have many applications
>running on non-80 ports. So when the browser will have to connect to
>"http://foo.bar.tld:8080/", what version will it use ?

Long time ago I argued that we should look into "no-RTT upgrade", ie
a scheme where the first byte sent from client to server on HTTP/2
would allow the server to decide which protocol it was.

Together with an "Also:" or alt-svc header which announces which
protocols are supported by the server, this could work seamlessly:

	if port == 100
		http/2
	elif we've seen Also: header announcing http/2
		http/2
	else
		http/1

This idea may be worth revisiting.