Re: Call for Proposals re: #314 HTTP2 and http:// URIs on the "open" internet

From: Michael Sweet <msweet@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 09:55:01 -0500
Cc: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>, Adrien de Croy <adrien@qbik.com>, James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Poul-Henning,

On Nov 20, 2013, at 3:23 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
> Long time ago I argued that we should look into "no-RTT upgrade", ie
> a scheme where the first byte sent from client to server on HTTP/2
> would allow the server to decide which protocol it was.

Technically the connection header (section 3.5 of the current draft) looks enough like a HTTP/1.1 request (minus the protocol version) that it *should* work with existing HTTP servers, if only to elicit a 400 response and a closed connection.

I think this is definitely worth investigating, *however* a failed HTTP/2.0 connection will require opening a new TCP connection to retry with HTTP/1.1 with this method.  That could get expensive compared to an HTTP Upgrade approach (see my previous email).