Re: TLS at transport level vs stream multiplexing and aggregation (http "routers")

From: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 23:56:37 +0100
To: Roberto Peon <grmocg@gmail.com>
Cc: Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot@laposte.net>, Adrien de Croy <adrien@qbik.com>, Mike Belshe <mike@belshe.com>, "ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 02:30:03PM -0800, Roberto Peon wrote:
> Sounds like an interesting experiment (as Mike already said, we considered
> this way back when).

yes, and it's already more or less what's done with WebSocket if my
memory serves me right, as the masking is per message and I believe
per channel when mux is used.

I would personally like to see encryption used only on what *needs*
to be encrypted so that "routing" HTTP doesn't require decrypting
for most standard cases. We're not there yet...

Willy