Re: Questions about ALPN

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 17:07:50 -0700
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Cc: "ietf-http-wg@w3.org Group" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 14 October 2013 14:19, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:
> While that's fine for TLS, it becomes problematic in other environments like HTTP headers or DNS, because encoding will be necessary.

The question is whether you consider it a problem if ALPN can
negotiate protocols that others cannot.  Or, if you consider upgrade
to be the only place where a mechanism of this nature exists, that
those "others" might be required to perform some escaping, with all
the bugs that entails.

We're defining our strings in the ASCII range, so I didn't see a big
problem with the extra flexibility.