Re: Questions about ALPN

From: Martin J. Dürst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 10:26:17 +0900
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
CC: "ietf-http-wg@w3.org Group" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

On 2013/10/15 6:19, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> After our recent discussions, I went back and looked at the LC draft of ALPN:
>    http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tls-applayerprotoneg-02
> and noticed a few things.
>
> For a while now, we've been talking about using the ALPN string for more than just negotiation within TLS; possible uses include in the Upgrade "dance", in the Alt-Svc / Alternate-Protocol header, and possibly within DNS.
>
> However, the range of characters in an ALPN string is broad; in fact, UTF-8 is only a possibility:
>
> """
>     o  Identification Sequence: The precise set of octet values that
>        identifies the protocol.  This could be the UTF-8 encoding
>        [RFC3629] of the protocol name.
> """

I have no idea why arbitrary octet values would be needed here. If
anybody knows, please explain.

I'm generally well known for strongly supporting UTF-8 in many places,
but I have difficulties to see why we'd need anything but ASCII (without
most punctuation,...) for something like protocol identifiers.

Regards,   Martin.