Re: HTTP/2 extensions and proxies

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 12:11:57 -0700
To: Amos Jeffries <squid3@treenet.co.nz>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Sep 30, 2013 4:37 AM, "Amos Jeffries" <squid3@treenet.co.nz> wrote:
> And if they pass all unknown frames it will not be possible to develope
future hop-by-hop extensions.

Counterintuitively perhaps, we already have a way to deploy hop-by-hop
extensions. That relies on a chance to the negotiated protocol.

If we need end-to-end extensions, then intermediaries need to ignore, but
pass, unknown stuff. However, I think that we need to allow for
intermediaries that don't want to assume the risks associated with
extensions and allow intermediaries to drop unknown frames, but only if
they drop *all* unknown frames.